南京桑拿网-南京夜网-江苏夜网

Powered by Totosoft!
July 14th, 2018 by admin

Alleged crime figure shot in face is accused of involvement in Crown brawl

Photo: Greg NewingtonAn alleged crime figure charged after he was shot in the face and chest before driving himself to hospital is facing fresh allegations he was involved in a wild bar-stool brawl at Crown.
Nanjing Night Net

Nabil Maghnie, 40, who is understood to still have a bullet lodged in his neck, has already been charged over a fight with bikies at a brothel during a visit in which he and his friends allegedly argued over a $25 entry fee.

Further details of the accusations against Nabil Maghnie, 40, were revealed during his failed bid for bail in the Melbourne Magistrates Court on Wednesday.

Mr Maghnie, a father of five, was arrested last week after coming under police scrutiny when he was shot in the cheek and chest through the windscreen of his car and drove himself to hospital on September 22.

He is facing two charges of possessing a gun while being prohibited from doing so.

He was also charged with breaching bail and two affrays before he was shot, including a fight against a group of Mongols bikies in a waiting room at Gotham City Brothel in August.

The court heard Mr Maghnie and two friends visited the South Melbourne brothel at 4.30am on August 21, first having an argument with staff about paying a $25 entry fee before an altercation broke out between Mr Maghnie and seven men wearing Mongols colours.

Mr Maghnie was also charged over a brawl at the Atrium bar in Crown on July 22. Police allege he punched another man before chasing him around the bar until an all-in fight broke out between two groups of men, who used bar stools as weapons.

CCTV cameras captured both affrays, but no victims or witnesses came forward to police.

Detective Senior Constable Leteicha​ Brooks, of Echo taskforce, told the court on Wednesday that police had seized the Holden Commodore in which Mr Maghnie drove himself to hospital. Analysis showed eight shots were fired from inside the car, while three rocketed through the windscreen from outside.

Senior Constable Brooks said Mr Maghnie was the only person inside the car.

Neither his attacker, the location of the shooting, nor the gun Mr Maghnie was charged with possessing has been found.

The missing gun remains a “significant concern” for investigators fearful the shooting would lead to retaliation, Senior Constable Brooks said.

“It’s a concern because [the gun] could be anywhere and it could be used by anybody,” she said.

Senior Constable Brooks said CCTV footage showed Mr Maghnie’s son removing a backpack from the Holden before it was seized when he went to see him in hospital.

The backpack, with $23,000 in cash and a bloodied mobile phone inside, was later found by police.

Senior Constable Brooks said Mr Maghnie and his son refused to assist police.

Mr Maghnie was discharged from hospital last Monday, four days after the shooting, and arrested at his Epping home last Thursday.

Police alleged his DNA was found on the trigger of a Colt .32 gun seized at a home in Dallas in January. Police searched the house after a shooting outside a home in Dallas Drive.

Police said the bullets taken from the victim’s leg in the January shooting matched those from the Colt .32 that was found along with two other guns and ammunition.

Mr Maghnie’s lawyer, Michael Tovey, QC, said there was no suggestion his client had fired a gun.

“One needs compelling evidence; there simply isn’t compelling evidence,” Mr Tovey said.

He also queried why no one else had been charged over the two affrays. Police said investigations were continuing.

Mr Maghnie had not received proper medical care in custody for his wounds, Mr Tovey said. He needs rubber bands strapped to his jaw changed, he can’t eat solid food and he has been given only Panadol to unsuccessfully fight the pain, the court heard.

In refusing bail, Magistrate Elizabeth Lambden said Mr Maghnie posed an unacceptable risk to the community.

“It would seem Mr Maghnie is a family man involved in building projects, so in that sense he has stability, but my concern given his history and serious nature of the offences, he’s an unacceptable risk,” she said.

Ms Lambden noted he needed appropriate and urgent treatment in custody.

Mr Maghnie was further remanded to face court in November.

This story Administrator ready to work first appeared on Nanjing Night Net.